Monday, September 10, 2012

Day Three

Drove yesterday, but didn't get to update because I was exhausted after driving and i had the start of a migraine that would last me through this morning.  But that is all better now, so here we go.

Yesterday, overall was pretty uneventful.  The morning I spent doing mostly short fares here and there.  I did pick up one particularly dapper looking guy from the Upper East Side going to Lincoln Center.  He didn't say much the whole ride but as he was getting out he told me I was definitely the coolest cab driver he had ever had.  That made me smile, for sure.  I passed by Lincoln Center later in the day and actually saw the same guy looking for a cab again.  I had someone in the back though, so I couldn't stop.  Oh well.

After dropping off the dapper gentleman, i instantly picked up two very fashionable guys headed to the Meat Packing District.  They were clearly involved in the fashion industry somehow.  And while they didn't speak much to me, I was lucky enough to hear about their entire recent sexual histories.  Very entertaining.

The day continued to be pretty uneventful.  I had one guy who was a know it all who thought I didn't know where I was going, even though because of one way streets and the traffic I knew was near the Port Authority, the way I took was actually to his benefit.  Passengers, let me tell you a little something.  If you are going somewhere and you know it is a one way street, don't assume the driver is trying to take you for a ride because they go a block or two past.  This little move could probably save you a few bucks and a few minutes.  Especially if the street you THINK they should be taking is 9th ave and going past port authority and the Lincoln Tunnel in the middle of the afternoon.  THERE IS ALWAYS TRAFFIC THERE!!!!!!  Okay, rant over.

After that pleasant gentleman, I had to pee, was hungry and right near a great McDonalds with a parking lot.  So I stopped for lunch.  This McDonalds has these new hi-tech soda dispensers where you pick your soda on a touch screen and then you can add a flavor to it as well.  I had raspberry Coke.  Very interesting!  They also had orange, vanilla, cherry, cherry vanilla, and I think lime.  Good spot to stop as a driver, and lots of other drivers know it too because the parking lot is filled with cabs.

The afternoon was also pretty uneventful.  Had a couple of slightly longer fares, but nothing crazy.  As the day was winding down for me, I decided I would grab one more fare before heading home.  I am glad I did too, because the last fare of the day made my day.

I was cruising up Broadway after dropping a couple at the Bed Bath and Beyond.  A young guy hails me and he is holding an empty gas canister.  I pull over for him and he hops in and asks me to take him to the nearest gas station.  Being on the Upper West Side, I couldn't think of where one was off hand.  So I pulled over to look it up on my phone.  He was apologetic but I told him not to sweat it.  It would be an adventure!  We figured out where one was and headed up that way.  Had an awesome conversation about everything from Brooklyn, to artists, to Spike Lee, and ratemypoo.com.  I got him to the gas station and he asked me to wait so I could bring him back.  That was probably the most entertaining fare I have had so far, and he gave me a HUGE tip on top of that.  So, Zach(I think that was his name) from People Magazine, big high five for being awesome!  Seriously, made my day.

Unfortunately that fare took a little longer than I had thought it would so i had to race back to the garage after that, and of course I hit traffic.  I eventually made it back to the garage, even if it was a bit later than I had intended.  Overall, a pretty average day I guess.  The day before I did a little better, but I still did okay, so I am happy with that.

Oh, I also tried out that Taxi Snapshot app.  Check it out!

MY SNAPSHOT!!

2 comments:

  1. I cant wait until I finally make it the city again. You can drive me around and then post about me!

    ReplyDelete